Thursday, September 24, 2009

Dying

Dying

(This was not an original story but based on a narrative by Henry Van Dyke that I liked and decided to put into rhyme. I hope he does not mind. )


I am standing on the sea shore
A ship is setting sail
Out upon the big wide ocean
My cries to no avail
She’s is such a strength and beauty
As I watch her sailing past
On out to the horizon
Till she’s just a distant mast
And now she’s just a speck of light
Where sea and sky converge
Out where I can’t touch her
Though I still can feel the urge
Then someone at my side explains
“There, she’s gone at last”
“Gone? Gone where?” it comes to me
“Gone where?” is what I ask

Gone from my sight, and that is all
Just from my sight, not my recall

“She’s just as large in mast and hull
As when she left” I sighed
She’s able to still bear her load
On to the other side
Her diminished size is in me,
Not in her - I say
I can not see her anymore
Or any other day

But the moment that they cried out
“There, she’s gone at last”
Someone on the other side
Said “There, I see the mast”
There were other eyes out watching
Prepared to raise the shout
She’s coming, see, she’s coming
That’s what’s dying’s all about.

We lose sight of all our loved ones
But our loved ones do not change
As they sail out ore’ the horizon
A new journey’s been arranged
There are loved ones there to greet them
Father, Son and Holy Ghost
No need for final goodbyes
Just a simple “Adios”


Mdailey

No comments:

Post a Comment