Thursday, July 15, 2010

Blameless on the Cross

I wrote this a few years ago.  I had heard the phrase "blameless on the cross" and wanted to see where that took me in verse.  Here it is.



You were there hanging blameless on the cross
You were there all alone as if your cause were lost
I could not see the path you laid before me
For I did not understand
You were blameless on the cross
For all the sins of man


I’ve heard about your preaching – some said you are the one
But you’re hanging up there on the cross as if it’s said and done
And me, I’m just a simple man hanging out here on the edge
Waiting for a simple sign that shows God kept his pledge
And even you – if you are the one – cried out as if forsaken
And those along the edge with me our faith was surely shaken


For we all had such high hopes for the one to lead the way
To show the world we are the chosen ones to rule the day
But you – you seem a simple man so frail and so slim
The only fire you ever show is the fire that burns within
You tell us to forgive our debtors and to turn the other cheek
For the world will be given to the gentle and meek
But for those on the edge we’re feeling lonely and lost
For you’re hanging blamelessly up there on the cross


Many years have come and gone and still some wonder
Were you a man or truly God own son
Me – I’ve got a faith no man can put asunder
I know deep in my heart you are the ONE
You were hanging blameless on the cross
Not alone, your cause had not been lost
All the sins of man were hanging too
Paid for by your love we were made anew

Mdailey    2/19/08

No comments:

Post a Comment